Pages

Wednesday 18 January 2012

Feeling great in pregnancy...



I'm getting to that stage in my pregnancy where I am starting to feel slightly normal again - although it won't last for long!! I am trying to take care of myself more in this pregnancy than I did in my first, only because I felt awful the whole way through last time and I am trying to avoid it this time around. 
I thought I would share my tips with you, I am no expert but I feel like it is making a difference to how I am feeling!



Staying active
I lost 2 stone in the run up to our wedding in September, this was mainly down to going to exercise classes 3 times a week, and I knew once I fell pregnant I didn't want to stop going. There was a girl that I done classes with who went 3 times a week up until 4 days before she had her baby! I went a couple of times in my first trimester, but then just felt too exhausted so only started going again a couple of weeks ago and I feel it definitely makes a difference. 
I am going to start going swimming once a week and I also walk to work and back every day, although it is only a 10 minute walk, every little helps! Exercise promotes muscle tone, strength, and endurance, so it will help you to manage the extra weight you will be carrying and help prepare you for labour, it will also be easier to lose the weight after the baby is born.


Look after your skin
My skin has been awful since the day I found out I was expecting! I have certainly not got that "pregnancy glow"! It has been dull, blotchy and breaking out in spots! 
For my face I make sure that I cleanse, tone and moisturise every evening and use a purifying cleanser in the mornings. I also try to use a face mask once a week, to make sure my face gets a proper deep clean! My favourite products to use are definitely the simple range.
For your body, you should avoid using soap during pregnancy as it removes the natural oils from your skin. Using a moisturising body wash will help to maintain the essential oils in pregnant skin and give you a healthy glow. My favourite body wash at the moment is the Dove silk glow body wash it smells delicious and leaves my skin feeling silky and soft. 
I like to use a body brush before I get in the bath, I gently brush my skin in upward motions starting from my feet and you should always brush towards your heart. Dry skin brushing has many benefits, it improves circulation, sheds dead skin cells and helps to tighten the skin. It definitely helps to wake you up! Also use a good moisturiser when you get out of the bath to help your skin to look healthy, and especially over your bump to stop you from getting stretch marks! Palmers cocoa butter is great for this.
And my top tip for your skin is DRINK WATER!! Water has many benefits in pregnancy, not only does it help to keep your skin clear and fresh, but it prevents common problems such as constipation, hemorrhoids and bladder infections. Also, the more fluids you drink during pregnancy, the less your body retains - odd I know!


Dressing your bump
It can be hard to find clothes to suit your changing shape, but it doesn't mean you can't still be fashionable! 
Comfort is very important in pregnancy, stick to natural fabrics as anything itchy will just irritate you especially as you will find your bump gets itchy as you get bigger! 
Your body temperature is slightly raised in pregnancy, so opt for lighter layers that you can take off when you get too hot!
Maternity jeans are great, you can wear your usual style with a stretchy waistband so they will grow with you as you get bigger. Topshop maternity jeans are great. 
Empire line tops are great as it separates your bust from your bump, or you can cheat by adding a skinny belt above your bump. Wearing a loose fitting top can actually make you look bigger than you are, so wear your bump with pride and choose clothes to show this off!
It is important to get fitted for a good maternity bra a couple of times throughout your pregnancy, as you will most certainly go up a few sizes! You might also want to wear bras that aren't underwired as will be more comfortable. 


Spoil yourself!
Being pregnant is a great excuse for getting pampered! Make sure you treat yourself to a manicure, pedicure, or some new makeup. 
I get my nails done once a month, this helps me to have some me-time and having pretty nails always perks me up! I had a pregnancy massage a few weeks ago and I would recommend it to anyone, it makes you feel so relaxed!


Eat Well
Eating a healthy balanced diet can help you to maintain a healthy weight and give you a boost of energy. You will probably feel more hungry than usual, but it doesn't mean you should eat for two! Eating the right foods will help you to feel fuller for longer. 
Fruit and Veg - Eat plenty of fruit and vegetables as these provide you with vitamins and minerals, as well as fibre which helps digestion and prevents constipation. Eat at least 5 portions a day,
Carbohydrates - Starchy food are an important source of vitamins and fibre, and are satisfying without containing too many calories. They include bread, potatoes, cereals, rice, pasta and Oats. These foods should be the main part of every meal, eat wholemeal varieties when you can.
Protein -  Sources of protein include meat, fish, poultry, eggs, beans, pulses and  nuts. Eat some protein every day, but make sure it is cooked thoroughly. Try to eat two potions of fish a week.
Dairy - Dairy foods such as milk, cheese and yoghurt are important because they contain calcium and other nutrients that your baby needs. Choose low-fat varieties where possible. Aim for two-three potions every day.
Healthy Snacks - If you get hungry between meals, try not to reach for snacks that are high in fat/sugar! Good choices are Fruit, yoghurt, vegetable sticks with houmous,  or breakfast cereals. 
Taking a prenatal vitamin will also help you get all the vitamins you need.
For more information on eating healthily in pregnancy and for foods to avoid go to the NHS website.


I think hope these tips have helped you! And if you have any tips of your own, please share them! 
With love, Danielle x

No comments: